July 6, 2010
Health Tip: Use Hand Tools Safely
And help prevent injury
(HealthDay News) -- A good set of tools can make most any job easier, but they can also cause injury if used improperly.
The U.S. National Safety Council offers these hand tool safety precautions:
- Always keep tools well maintained, and use the appropriate tool for each project.
- Follow instruction when using the tools, and use all safety features.
- Power tools should have double insulation and be grounded correctly.
- Power tools should always be turned off and unplugged before they're maintained.
- Wear clothing that can't get caught in tools.
- Wear appropriate protective gear when working with power tools, such as safety goggles or glasses, hearing protection and a dust mask over the nose and mouth.
- Store tools safely, turned off and unplugged, and always where children can't reach them.