October 22, 2012
Health Tip: Don't Take the Wrong Medication
Suggestions to prevent accidental ingestion
(HealthDay News) -- Common medications can be dangerous if taken incorrectly, or accidentally by children.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these suggestions to help prevent accidental ingestion:
- Never take a prescription medication that was not prescribed for you, and never take more medication than your doctor recommends.
- Make sure all medicines -- prescription and over-the-counter -- are stored safely out of a child's reach.
- Always read warning labels on medications and follow all instructions.
- If you're taking medication at night, turn on a light. This will help prevent you from taking the wrong medication or the wrong amount.
- Store all medications in their original containers, and properly dispose of medications when you no longer need them.
- Carefully monitor use of medications among children and teens.