(HealthDay News) -- Medications are available to help manage schizophrenia, but they need to be taken correctly to maximize effectiveness.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these guidelines for taking schizophrenia medication:
- Take your medication at the same time each day.
- Be sure to drink a lot of fluids.
- As the medication can increase your sensitivity to temperature, avoid hot weather and wear layers of clothing in cold weather.
- Never discontinue your medication before talking with your doctor.
- Discuss any side effects or related problems with your doctor.