Seek answers before undergoing surgery
(HealthDayNews) --All surgery carries risks, so it's best to know as much as you can before hopping onto an operating table.
In addition to getting a second opinion, the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality suggests you ask your physician these questions:
- Why do I need the operation?
- Are there alternatives to surgery?
- How will surgery benefit me?
- What are the risks?
- What are the risks for not having the surgery?
- How many of these operations have you performed before?
- What kind of anesthesia will I need?
- Where will the surgery be done?
- How long will it take me to recover?
- How much will it cost?