Health Tip: About That Test Your Doctor Ordered
Make sure you understand why it's necessary
(HealthDayNews) -- Your doctor probably orders some type of test -- be it an X-ray, blood work or urinalysis -- each time you visit. It's important to understand what the test entails and why your doctor ordered it, according to the U.S. government's Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
Here are some questions to ask your doctor:
- How is the test done?
- What kind of information will it provide?
- Is this test the only way to find out that information?
- What are the benefits and risks?
- How accurate is the test?
- What do I need to do to prepare?
- Will the test be uncomfortable?
- How long will it take to get the results, and how will I get them?
And finally, if you don't hear back from the doctor within the time period you were originally told when the tests results would be available, call to get your results.