July 30, 2008
Health Tip: Be a Smart Patient
And stay safe
(HealthDay News) -- Although your doctor and other health-care professionals do their best to help you stay safe, there are things you can do to prevent problems.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions on how to be a smart patient:
- If you have a question or concern about your health or treatment, talk to your doctor about it. Bring a friend or family member if you need help understanding what you must do.
- Give your doctor and pharmacist a complete list of every medication you take, including those sold over-the-counter. Ask about any side effects or sets of drugs that shouldn't be taken together.
- Always get your test results. Ask your doctor at the time of the test when results will be available, and when you can discuss them together.
- If you are able to choose a hospital, discuss the choices with your doctor.
- If you need surgery, ask your physician what will happen, what to expect, and what you need to do.