November 3, 2009
Health Tip: Nails Can Reveal Your Health
A doctor should examine them carefully
(HealthDay News) -- It's important to pay attention to changes in your nails, as they can indicate an underlying health problem.
The American Academy of Dermatology says the condition of your nails could indicate possible:
- Liver disease, which may be characterized by whitening of the nails.
- Kidney disease, if half of each nail is pink and the other half white.
- Heart condition, if the nail beds are red.
- Lung disease, which could be characterized by thick, yellow nails that grow slowly.
- Anemia, if nail beds are pale.
- Diabetes, if nails have a yellow tint that look blush at the base.