Health Tip: Taking Care of Eczema
How to prevent outbreaks
(HealthDay News) -- Eczema is characterized by patches of red, irritated and itchy skin.
An outbreak can be triggered by weather, stress or use of certain products, including detergents.
Here are suggested ways to prevent an outbreak, courtesy of the Princeton University Health Services:
- Apply lotion immediately after getting out of the shower to keep your skin well-moisturized.
- Don't take very long baths or showers, and avoid using very hot water that can dry skin.
- Don't use harsh soaps or detergents that can irritate the skin.
- Try to avoid becoming overheated or very sweaty.
- Try to avoid becoming stressed.
- Keep skin well covered during winter.
- Try not to wear itchy fabrics made of wool or some synthetic fibers.