January 16, 2004
Make sure your browser is secure
(HealthDayNews) -- By shopping online, you can bypass parking hassles, long lines and aching feet.
But before you whirl your browser through the maze of Internet shopping sites, the Federal Trade Commission offers this advice:
- Make sure your browser is secure. It should comply with industry security standards.
- Shop only with companies you know, and find out their refund and return policies before you place your order.
- Keep your password private. Avoid using a telephone number, birth date or Social Security number.
- Be sure to print a copy of your purchase order and confirmation number.
- Before you sign up to pay your bills online, evaluate how the company secures your financial and personal information.