March 10, 2009
Health Tip: Avoid Animal Bites
Steps to help reduce your risk
(HealthDay News) -- Even the most friendly of cats and dogs can inadvertently bite you or a loved one, which could lead to an infection.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions to help prevent animal bites:
- Small children should never be left unattended with any animal.
- If you see animals fighting, avoid trying to separate them.
- Don't approach or touch animals that appear sick, or any animals with which you're not familiar.
- Never touch or bother an animal that is eating.
- Always keep your pets on a leash when away from home.
- Choose your family pets wisely, and make sure to keep their vaccinations current.