(HealthDay News) -- Fleas feed on the blood of people and your furry friends, says the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Flea infestation can be difficult to quash, so prevention is key, the agency says.
To prevent, reduce or eliminate flea infestation, the EPA suggests:
- Check carpets, cushioned furniture and cracks and crevices daily.
- Steam clean carpets regularly. Pay extra attention to areas where pets sleep.
- Wash all pet bedding and family bedding on which pets lie every two weeks.
- Use a flea comb on your pet to expose adult fleas.
- Keep your pets indoors as much as possible.