(HealthDay News) -- If Fido or Fluffy have an unwelcome band of fleas on them, there are things you can do to control the problem.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency suggests:
- Vacuum your home each day.
- Steam clean carpets, especially places where pets sleep, to kill fleas and flea eggs.
- Every two or three weeks, wash all family and pet bedding in hot, soapy water. Throw away and replace bedding if there's a severe infestation.
- Brush pets with a flea comb, particularly around the neck and tail. Dip the comb and any fleas you find in a bowl of soapy, hot water
- Keep pets indoors more often.