July 8, 2015
Health Tip: Opt for Friendlier Flea Control
Protect your pets with fewer chemicals
(HealthDay News) -- If you're against using chemical flea prevention methods, there are environmentally friendly options.
The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals advises:
- Use a flea comb each day on your animal. At least weekly, bathe animals in a calendula, oatmeal or aloe shampoo, and wash their bedding.
- Run a vacuum frequently, storing the vacuum bag wrapped inside a plastic bag in the freezer. This will destroy any fleas or flea eggs.
- Give your dog a daily B-complex vitamin. Also consider black walnut capsules to help repel fleas.
- For dogs only, mix six-to-seven drops of peppermint, rosemary, citronella, tea tree and eucalyptus oils with a cup of water. Shake well and spray on a dog's coat every other day. Don't use this on a cat.
- Keep grass cut short and apply nematodes to the grass to feed on the flea larvae.