April 17, 2007
Health Tip: Pets Can Harbor Germs
Practice good hygiene after contact with your furry friends
(HealthDay News) -- Pets may be beloved family members, but they can also harbor germs.
Here are a few health suggestions for pet owners, courtesy of the Nemours Foundation:
- Always wash your hands thoroughly after petting your animals.
- Wear gloves when cleaning cages or litter boxes.
- Disinfect sinks, bathtubs and other areas where you bathe or brush your pet.
- Don't give your pets food meant for people -- especially raw meat, which can harbor bacteria.
- Never let pets drink from the toilet.
- Never take in a wild animal as a pet.