(HealthDay News) -- Balance can be a big problem for seniors. If you're not steady on your feet, you're at greater risk of falling.
The American Podiatric Medical Association offers these guidelines for shoe shopping:
- Look for a stiff heel, flexible sole and firmness so the shoe doesn't twist in the middle.
- Have a professional measure your feet at each shopping trip. Shop later in the day when feet are largest, and shop for the size of the largest foot.
- Try on shoes with the type of socks you'll be wearing with them.
- Make sure shoes feel sturdy and comfortable right away. Don't plan on a "break-in" period.
- Talk to your podiatrist about any special foot health concerns, including the use of orthotics.