(HealthDayNews) -- If you're hospitalized for any reason, don't stay any longer than you need to.
According to the University of Michigan, the daily rate in some hospitals is about $1,000. And that may exclude costs for treatments, medicines or physician fees.
Here are some ways you can save on hospital costs:
- Choose outpatient services whenever you can. Many routine lab and diagnostic tests, and surgeries can be done for less money as an outpatient.
- Ask your doctor about home health care, which can provide a wide range of services for less money than in a hospital.
- Beware of test duplication. Ask your doctor which blood tests, X-rays, and medical procedures you can expect.
- Know when checkout time is. If you miss the deadline, you're likely to be charged for an extra day's stay.
- If your health problem isn't an emergency, avoid being admitted to a hospital on a weekend, since testing will usually not begin until Monday.
- Keep a list of all services you receive in the hospital. And ask for an itemized bill so you can make sure you're billed correctly.