May 5, 2010
Health Tip: Coping With Hearing Loss
Suggestions for people with below-average hearing
(HealthDay News) -- Hearing loss affects many people -- especially seniors -- and can make socializing and communicating difficult.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions for someone with hearing loss:
- Make sure you tell friends and loved ones about your hearing loss. Don't try to keep it a secret.
- Encourage people to look directly at you when they speak.
- Tell your loved ones that you need them to speak a bit more loudly and clearly. But they don't need to shout or speak slowly.
- Turn off background noise such as radio or TV when possible.
- Pay attention to background noise in public places. Avoid sitting near the kitchen at a restaurant or in front of live music.