Health Highlights: Jan. 14, 2015
Pork Off the Menu at Hundreds of Chipotle Restaurants More Measles Cases Linked to Disney Parks in California
Here are some of the latest health and medical news developments, compiled by the editors of HealthDay:
Pork Off the Menu at Hundreds of Chipotle Restaurants
Pork is temporarily unavailable at hundreds of Chipotle restaurants across the United States after the Mexican food chain suspended a supplier for its treatment of pigs.
The violations related to housing for the pigs, company spokesman Chris Arnold told the Associated Press.
Chipotle suppliers are required to raise pigs in humane conditions with access to the outdoors, rather than in cramped pens.
The Denver-based company learned about the violation on Friday through a routine audit and stopped serving pork at about one-third of its more than 1,700 restaurants. It's not known when pork will be back on the menus at those restaurants, Arnold told the AP.
More Measles Cases Linked to Disney Parks in California
Seven new patients with measles bring the number of cases linked to Disney theme parks in California to 26 people in four states, California health officials say.
Most of the patients visited Disneyland or Disney California Adventure between Dec. 15 and Dec. 20 last year, but officials said some people may have contracted the highly contagious disease from others who visited the parks, CBS/Associated Press reported.
The cases include 22 people in California, two siblings in Utah, and one case each in Colorado and Washington. The patients are ages 8 months to 21 years, and at least 8 of them had not been vaccinated.
"This could easily turn from two people into dozens, hundreds, if you don't jump on it very quickly," Dr. Joseph Miner, executive director of the Utah County Health Department, said of the cases in his state, CBS/AP reported.
"The real difficult thing with measles is you become infectious four days before the rash starts, so even before you recognize it as measles, you can be infecting other people," Dr. Helene Calvet, Orange County deputy health officer, told CBS News.