Bortezomib Combo Effective in Advanced Follicular Lymphoma

Bortezomib, bendamustine, rituximab combo active for patients with relapsed follicular lymphoma

TUESDAY, Aug. 2 (HealthDay News) -- Bortezomib, given in combination with rituximab, cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and prednisone (BR-CVP), is feasible for treating patients with advanced-stage follicular lymphoma (FL), and the combination of bortezomib, bendamustine, and rituximab is active in patients with FL who have received previous treatment, according to two studies published online Aug. 1 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

Laurie H. Sehn, M.D., M.P.H., from the National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group in Kingston, and colleagues investigated the safety and efficacy of BR-CVP therapy among 94 patients with newly diagnosed stage III/IV FL. BR-CVP was well tolerated, and 90 percent of participants completed eight treatment cycles. Only 5 patients developed grade 3 neurotoxicity, which was largely reversible, and none developed grade 4 neurotoxicity. Based on intention to treat analysis, a complete response was seen in 49 percent of patients, and partial response in 34 percent, representing an overall response rate of 83 percent.

Nathan Fowler, M.D., from the Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, and colleagues investigated response rate, progression-free survival, and toxicity of bortezomib, bendamustine, and rituximab in 63 patients with relapsed FL who received a 90 mg/m² dose of bortezomib. An overall response rate of 88 percent was observed, with 53 percent having a complete response. The median duration of response was 11.7 months, and median progression-free survival was 14.9 months. The main toxicity seen was myelosuppression, with 25 percent of patients experiencing a grade 3 to 4 neutropenia and 14 percent a grade 3 to 4 thrombocytopenia. Transient neuropathy occurred in 11 percent of the patients.

"The combination of bortezomib, bendamustine, and rituximab is highly active in patients with follicular lymphoma who have received previous treatment," Fowler and colleagues conclude.

Several authors from the first study disclosed financial ties to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry; several authors from the second study disclosed financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry, including Millenium Pharmaceuticals.

Abstract - Sehn
Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)
Abstract - Fowler
Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)

Physician's Briefing