(HealthDayNews) -- Bladder infections occur when bacteria get into the bladder.
This can happen by the way you wipe after going to the bathroom, or through sex. Bladder infections can also be caused by a blockage of urine flow, which may occur in men with an enlarged prostate, or in pregnant women.
The University of Michigan Health System offers the some tips on preventing bladder infection. You should urinate often during the day and also urinate after you have sex. If you're a man, always wash your penis when you bathe.
If you're a woman:
- Keep the area around your vagina clean.
- Wipe from front to back after you go to the bathroom.
- Wash the area when you bathe or shower.
- Wear cotton underwear.
- Use pantyhose with cotton crotches.
- Avoid tight clothing. Wear loose pants.
- Don't wear a wet bathing suit for a long time.