(HealthDay News) -- Fleas can cause more than discomfort for both people and pets. They also can cause health problems.
Here are some important things to know about recognizing and fighting fleas in your home, courtesy of the U.S. National Library of Medicine:
- Flea bites can cause a rash, small bumps that turn white when you press on them, swelling and hives.
- Bites can itch severely and commonly occur where the skin folds -- armpits, ankles, knees and other areas.
- Excessive scratching can cause the bites to become infected.
- Over-the-counter hydrocortiosone cream can help soothe itching.
- Insecticides can be used in the home to kill fleas -- but never spray around young children.
- It's important to use preventive treatments on household pets.