(HealthDayNews) -- If you've been forced from your home due to flooding, take the following safety measures when you return, advises the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency:
- Don't turn the electricity back on if you smell gas or if the electric system has been flooded.
- Wear sturdy boots and gloves.
- Don't handle electric equipment in wet areas.
- Use flashlights, not lanterns, candles or matches, to check building containing natural gas, propane, or gasoline.
- Find out from local officials whether your water is safe to drink.