(HealthDay News) -- Salons that don't follow proper safety procedures may pass along infections to customers who get manicures or pedicures.
Before you get too comfy in a salon chair, consider these suggestions from the International Pedicure Association:
- Be sure all areas of the salon look clean.
- All technicians at the salon must be licensed, and their licenses displayed.
- Before a manicure or pedicure begins, the technician should examine your hands or feet and point out any signs of infection or other health condition.
- All tools should be disinfected after use on prior customers.
- All tools that cannot be sterilized must be disposed of.
- The salon should be properly ventilated.
- Each customer must receive a clean towel.