Health Tip: Tattoos Can Pose Health Risks
Consider these warnings before getting one
(HealthDay News) - Getting a tattoo can pose serious health risks if it's not done properly. The procedure should only be performed under regulated, sanitary and professional conditions.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration lists these potential risks associated with getting a tattoo:
- Infection, including hepatitis and skin infections.
- Allergic reaction to inks.
- Bumps or nodules that may form around the tattooed area, called granulomas.
- Keloids -- abnormal scar growth.
- In rare cases, swelling may occur during an MRI.
- Inability to completely remove the tattoo if you ultimately decide you don't want it.