(HealthDayNews) -- Ticks can carry Lyme disease and a number of similar illnesses, so the best way to avoid infection is to avoid the little critters altogether.
Lifespan Hospitals offers these tips:
- Stay away from areas the may be infested, such as woods and grasslands.
- If you are in the woods, walk in the center of the trail and wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants tucked into your socks.
- Wear boots or closed shoes and a hat.
- Spray repellant containing permethrin on your clothes and apply compounds with DEET on exposed skin.
- After being outdoors, wash your clothes. Then inspect your body carefully, particularly hairy areas.