(HealthDay News) -- Sinus infections can be caused by either a virus or a bacterium. While bacterial infections respond to antibiotics, viral infections -- usually stemming from a common cold -- just need to run their course.
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases offers these suggestions to help reduce symptoms of a sinus infection:
- Take a decongestant to help a runny or stuffy nose.
- Over-the-counter saline nasal sprays can help with nasal congestion, but should only be used for a few days.
- Take a pain reliever to soothe pain associated with sinus infection.
- Apply gentle heat to the sinuses to ease discomfort.
- Breathe steam from a vaporizer or hot cup of water to help soothe inflamed sinuses.