(HealthDay News) -- If your acne is well controlled by gently washing with soap and water, and by using over-the-counter lotions or creams, you may not have to visit your doctor.
On the other hand, the University of Michigan Health System says you should see your doctor if:
- Your acne keeps getting worse.
- You have large, fluid-filled pimples that may feel hard to the touch. This is called cystic acne.
- Your acne keeps you from social activities, such as parties or dates.
- You are depressed or very embarrassed because of acne.
- Either or both your parents had severe acne that caused permanent scars.