(HealthDay News) --Acne and blemishes on the skin can affect self-esteem, but there are ways to keep skin clear and acne at bay.
The Womenshealth.gov website lists these tips to ward off acne:
- Each morning and each night (and after sweating), wash skin with a gentle cleanser -- avoid abrasive scrubs, scrubbing pads and harsh soaps.
- Wash your hair regularly, particularly if you have oily hair.
- If you do get a pimple, keep your hands off -- avoid picking and squeezing.
- Protect skin from sunburn with a hat, protective clothing and sunscreen.
- Stick to cosmetics and hair products labeled as "non-comedogenic," "oil-free" or "non-acnegenic," as they are less likely to cause acne.
- Avoid friction on the skin from items like backpacks or helmets.
- Take any acne medications and use any prescribed treatments as your doctor recommends, and let your doctor know about other medications that you take that could worsen acne.