Health Tip: Help Prevent Bed Wetting
Suggestions for staying dry
(HealthDay News) -- Many children wet the bed until age 5, and an occasional lapse among even older children is common, experts say.
The National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse offers these suggestions to help prevent bed wetting:
- Limit your child to one drink with dinner.
- Don't let your child drink anything just before bed.
- Don't give your child beverages that contain caffeine, which accelerates urine production.
- Have your child use the bathroom immediately before bed.
- Don't scold or punish your child for wetting the bed, and encourage dry nights with lots of praise.