Cleaning Products Pose Child Poison Dangers
Here are some tips for keeping kids safe
SATURDAY, April 7, 2007 (HealthDay News) -- Little hands can latch on to hazardous, even poisonous cleaning products around the home, so the Soap and Detergent Association is offering 10 safety tips to help protect young children.
Parents and other adults should:
- Thoroughly check your home to ensure that it's safe for children.
- Install childproof locks on cabinets that house cleaning supplies. Never assume a cabinet is too high for a curious child.
- Keep all household products in their original packaging, which includes first-aid information in the event of accidental exposure or ingestion of the product.
- Read and follow the directions on the product label.
- Don't leave cleaning buckets with liquid in them unattended. If a child falls into a bucket, it may not tip over, and the child could drown in even a small amount of liquid.
- Schedule house cleaning during "down times," when children are having a nap or on a play date or at school.
- Take out only the amount of cleaning product you need for the job you're doing at the moment. Keep the rest securely stored until you need it.
- Immediately clean up any spillage.
- Avoid distractions or interruptions when children are present while you're cleaning. If you need to answer the door, take the child with you. If the phone rings, let the answering machine get the call.
- Post the Poison Control Center phone number (1-800-222-1222) by every phone in your home and save the number on your cell phone.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has more about poisoning prevention.