Health Tip: Symptoms of Dyslexia
Possible warning signs of learning disability
(HealthDay News) -- Dyslexia is a learning disability that affects the way a child reads and writes.
The Nemours Foundation says an inability to perform the following functions are common warning signs of dyslexia among preschool and elementary school children:
- Learning to read and speak.
- Understanding and identifying things like colors, shapes, numbers, letters and days of the week.
- Reading and writing one's own name.
- Correlating letters and sounds.
- Mixing up letter sequences and reading incorrectly, such as reading "top" as "pot."
- Poor handwriting and difficulty with other fine-motor skills.