(HealthDay News) -- Though arts and crafts are fun activities for children, safety precautions should still be followed, says the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Safety rules when children are using art materials include:
- Keep food and drinks out of the art area.
- Adults should mix powdered and dusty materials.
- Wash hands after using art materials.
- Watch for unusual reactions to chemicals.
- Cover cuts or sores with bandages before using materials.
The CPSC advises parents that children need regular reminders of safety rules and there is no substitute for direct supervision.