Health Tip: Heal Baby's Diaper Rash
Suggestions to help it go away
(HealthDay News) - Diaper rash is a red, bumpy breakout that occurs when a baby has worn a dirty diaper, and the skin becomes irritated.
Here are suggestions on how to prevent and treat the condition, courtesy of the U.S. National Library of Medicine:
- Change diapers frequently. Don't allow the infant to wear a wet or soiled diaper for long.
- Try to leave the infant without a diaper for a while, so that the air can help dry the area.
- Wash the baby's bottom with plain warm water. Avoid baby wipes if they tend to cause irritation.
- Try a cream or ointment to soothe and protect the skin, but avoid irritating powders.
- If the rash doesn't heal in a reasonable amount of time, have the infant see a doctor.