November 10, 2008
Health Tip: Protect Baby From Diaper Rash
(HealthDay News) -- Your baby's bottom may be prone to a nasty rash if the diaper isn't changed frequently or if the skin isn't cleaned properly.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these preventive suggestions:
- Keep a watchful eye on your baby's diaper, and change it as soon as possible after it is soiled.
- When you change baby's diaper, clean the infant's bottom thoroughly with warm water and mild soap.
- Pat baby's skin dry after a bath or diaper change -- never scrub it.
- Make sure baby's skin is completely dry before you put on a clean diaper.
- Don't use scented baby wipes, or those that contain alcohol.
- Cover baby's skin with a zinc oxide ointment or petroleum jelly to protect it from wetness.
- Avoid diapers with plastic edges, or plastic pants.