Health Tip: When a Doctor Should Evaluate Diaper Rash
Signs that medical attention may be needed
(HealthDay News) -- Diaper rash is usually easily treated and isn't a cause for concern. But severe cases may require a doctor's care.
The American Academy of Family Physicians mentions these warning signs that diaper rash should be evaluated by a medical professional:
- If the rash occurs before 6 weeks of age.
- If the rash is accompanied by ulcers, pimples or a fever.
- If the infant also has weight loss and a poor appetite.
- If the rash is characterized by large bumps.
- If the rash spreads to other areas.
- If the rash doesn't improve after a week of treatment.