January 27, 2010
Health Tip: Children Who Are at Risk for Ear Infection
Kids most likely to get one
(HealthDay News) -- Ear infections are common in children, and may be chronic.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers this list of risk factors for ear infections in children:
- Being around smokers.
- Having had a prior ear infection or a family history of ear infection.
- Going to day care.
- Being born prematurely or having a low birth weight.
- Having frequent colds or other infections.
- Going to bed with a bottle, or using a pacifier.
- Being a boy.
- Having allergy-related nasal congestion.
- Having nasally speech.