October 22, 2007
Health Tip: Scared of Shots?
Help your child get through vaccinations
(HealthDay News) - Your child's vaccinations are necessary, but knowing that doesn't make it easier for a nervous youngster.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions at vaccination time:
- Explain to your child that everyone has to have these shots to stay healthy.
- Tell younger children that it's OK to cry, but they should try to be brave.
- Stay calm and relaxed around your child.
- As the vaccine is being administered, try singing a song together, talking or telling a joke. Give the child something else to focus on.
- Once the vaccination is complete, praise your child and tell him or her how proud you are of their behavior.
- Treat your child to a fun activity or a present after leaving the doctor. Tell the child about it beforehand, to give the child something to look forward to after the shot.