November 28, 2003
Acclimating Your New Babysitter
What you need to say
(HealthDayNews) -- Before you leave your child with a new babysitter, make sure the sitter knows the house safety rules, advises the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.
Here's a sample checklist:
- Leave a telephone number where you can be reached. If it will be difficult to contact you, leave the number of a relative or neighbor.
- Keep emergency numbers near the telephone.
- Show the babysitter where to find the fire extinguisher and how to use it.
- Show the sitter where to find your first aid kit and flashlight.
Your child's babysitter should also know:
- What to do if your child is hurt or gets sick.
- What time you'll be home.
- Your rules about having friends over. What, how much, and when to feed your child.