December 9, 2003
Bath For Baby
Tips for the tub
(HealthDayNews) -- Giving your newborn a tub bath for the first time can be daunting. Ease your anxiety by preparing properly for the event.
The Cincinnati Children's Hospital offers these guidelines:
- Select a bath site. Good places include the bathtub, kitchen sink, or bathroom sink.
- If you're using a portable baby bathtub, make sure it's on a sturdy table, and never carry the bathtub with your baby in it.
- Gather all your supplies before filling the tub and undressing your baby.
- Fill the tub with three inches of water. Don't add soap or bubble bath to the water. This can dry your infant's skin.
- As you slowly place your baby into the tub, use a calm, reassuring voice to soothe your child. Support your child's head with your hand.
- Use your other hand to gently wash and rinse your infant.