(HealthDayNews) -- Before your young witch or wizard heads out for Halloween, the American College of Emergency Physicians suggests you protect your kids against potential hazards.
Here are some tips:
- Trick or treat only where you know the neighbors.
- Only visit homes with decorations and porch lights on.
- Check your kids' treats before they sample them.
- Have them wear bright colors that will be clearly visible to motorists.
- Make sure their masks don't impair their vision.
- Check that their costumes are flame resistant. Remind your kids to stay away from the open flames of candles and Jack O'Lanterns.
- Avoid costumes with trailing hemlines or billowing sleeves that your kids can trip over.