(HealthDayNews) -- Bathing your newborn should be a special and loving time of day. But it is also when you need to take extra care to ensure your infant's safety.
Here are some tips from Cincinnati Children's Hospital:
- Gather all the things you will need before you start bathing your baby.
- Give yourself plenty of time for the bath so you will not be in a hurry.
- Don't leave your baby alone in the tub. If you have to leave the room to answer the door or the phone, wrap your infant in a towel and take him or her with you.
- Try running the shower for a few minutes before bath time. This will warm the room and keep your baby from chilling.
- Test the bath water temperature first by putting your wrist or elbow in the water.
- Keep a firm hold on a soapy baby -- a lathered body can be quite slippery.