May 5, 2004
Health Tip: Bathroom Safety
Accident prevention tips
(HealthDayNews) -- Bathrooms attract kids like magnets. From the faucets to the toilet to the medicine cabinet, they beckon inquisitive young minds and hands.
Avoid bathroom mishaps with these tips from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia:
- To reduce the risk of scalding, turn down your water heater to 120 degrees.
- If you have a crawler or a toddler at home, use a toilet lock. Children have drowned in toilets.
- Make sure any electrical outlets are GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) protected.
- Avoid using electrical appliances in the bathroom, including electric space heaters.
- Remove sharp items, such as scissors and razors, and store them out of reach.
- Store medications, mouthwash, and cleansers out of reach.