(HealthDay News) - To avoid a gassy, fussy baby, burping is an important part of every feeding.
Here are suggestions on how to burp your young infant, courtesy of the Nemours Foundation:
- Sit upright, holding your baby against your chest so that the chin is against your shoulder.
- OR: Sit your baby upright on your lap or knee, holding the chin gently in your hand.
- Always support your baby's head.
- Gently pat the infant's back, but not too hard.
- If your baby seems fussy during feedings, stop the feeding a few times and burp him or her throughout, then again when the infant is done eating.