(HealthDay News) -- Child-proofing your home should keep kids safer when they come for a visit.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers this advice:
- Install smoke detectors throughout your home.
- Pet food and pets should be kept away from a young child.
- Have fire extinguishers on hand, and create escape plans throughout the home.
- Place gates at the top and bottom of stairs.
- Install child safety covers on all electrical outlets, or block all outlets with furniture.
- Place bumpers or soft covers over furniture with sharp edges.