(HealthDay News) -- 'Tis the season for some sledding.
But St. Louis Children's Hospital says about 35,000 children in the United States visit the emergency room for sledding-related injuries each year.
Here's a list of safety tips to follow before your child's next sleigh ride:
- Select his sled carefully, and take heed of how easy it is to steer.
- Inspect the terrain of the hill before your child sleds down it. The hill should be smooth and free of trees and ice.
- Encourage your child to sled feet first.
- Talk to your kids about sledding safety.
- Dress your child appropriately, including a helmet.