Health Tip: Help Keep Kids Safe on the Internet
How parents can participate
(HealthDay News) -- The Internet holds vast amounts of information that can help kids with school projects and allow them to play interactive games.
But it's important for parents to carefully monitor which sites their kids are visiting.
The Nemours Foundation offers these guidelines for parents:
- Learn how to use a computer and how to invoke parental controls, such as blocking certain websites.
- Keep the family computer in a shared area where you can watch your kids online.
- Maintain access to your child's email account, and surf the web together to teach your child safe and appropriate behavior.
- Keep favorite safe sites bookmarked.
- Check your phone and credit card bills regularly for any unusual activity.
- Make sure your child knows that chat rooms and other unsafe areas are off-limits.
- Report to law enforcement any inappropriate messages that your child receives online.