July 6, 2015
Health Tip: Help Kids Prevent Stress
Teach coping techniques while they're young
(HealthDay News) -- Stress is an inevitable part of life, even for children. So learning how to deal with stress during childhood can lead to better lifelong health.
The National Association of School Psychologists advises:
- Teach children coping and problem-solving skills. Give children the chance to learn from mistakes, but make sure to set clear expectations.
- Foster healthy, supportive relationships with family members, friends and classmates.
- Discipline your child in positive, consistent ways. Make sure your child always feels safe.
- Teach your child how to express emotions in healthy ways.
- Provide good nutrition and plenty of exercise. And don't forget time for fun, relaxation and recreation.