May 4, 2015
Health Tip: Help Kids Succeed at School
Healthy habits are a good foundation
(HealthDay News) -- If you want your child to succeed in school, start at home with a solid foundation built on healthy habits.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests:
- Prepare your child with an established, early bedtime and a healthy breakfast.
- Limit screen time and promote exercise.
- Create a strict daily routine to help children learn what to expect.
- Create an area in your home where all items needed for school -- from backpacks to shoes to papers -- are stored.
- Create a designated work space where your child can do homework, complete with needed supplies and no distractions.
- Read to your child every day.
- Set a good example by modeling a good work ethic and healthy habits.
- Listen to your child. Talk openly about life at school.