May 24, 2015
Health Tip: Keep Your Child at a Healthy Weight
Promote healthier eating and activity
(HealthDay News) -- Teaching your child about healthy eating and exercise can help reduce the youngster's risk of obesity and associated health problems.
The Cleveland Clinic suggests:
- Promoting healthy eating at home by offering whole grains, fruit and vegetables, healthy proteins and low-fat dairy.
- Adjusting favorite recipes to make them healthier.
- Limiting snacks that are high in fat and salt. Instead, offer an apple or banana, a cup of blueberries, grapes, carrots or peppers.
- Teaching kids the benefits of exercise, from stronger bones to better self esteem.
- Encouraging kids to exercise by swimming, dancing, jumping rope or going for a walk. Limit screen time to no more than two hours per day.