Health Tip: Keep Your Home Poison-Proof

Items should be stored where children can't reach them

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDay News) -- About 1.2 million children under age 6 accidentally ingest poison each year. This often occurs at home when parents are not paying attention, or when children mistakenly receive an incorrect dosage of an otherwise safe medication.

Everyday substances that are potentially harmful to children include cleaning products, kerosene, gasoline, antifreeze, pesticides, windshield wiper fluid and furniture polish.

The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests storing these and other potential poisons in locked drawers or cabinets that are out of children's reach. Childproof safety latches should be installed on any storage units.

All medications should have childproof safety caps, and any unused medications should be thrown away where children cannot reach them. You should never store medications or toxic substances in regular food or drink containers, or in other containers that are not properly labeled.

If you suspect your child has ingested a harmful substance, call 911 immediately. Also, 1-800-222-1222, a nationwide toll-free number, will direct you to the nearest regional poison center.

--

Last Updated:

Related Articles